Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from April, 2014

GDX 1.0

Well, after I said that I wasn't going to bother getting the gradle build working, it's time to eat my words.

About a week or so ago, Mario (the man behind libGdx) announced that they finally were officially releasing version 1.0 of libGdx. I've been dragging my feet about trying to keep up with changes to the library, as it's not completely backwards-compatible, and I didn't want to get on the treadmill of trying to keep changing my code to stay up-to-date. But after some consideration, I figured a 1.0 release was worth migrating to.

The biggest change between my old version (from about a year ago) and 1.0 was the directory structure and build scripts for your game. Like I mentioned before, they switched to a gradle-based build system (which is quite nice), and with that came some rearranging of the project directories.

I figured the easiest route would be to create a new blank project using their nice project creation tool, then move all my code into the right pl…

Minimap and Jenkins Build

Well, after finally get the exporter in Tiled to do what I wanted, (and as a side note: my changes got accepted into the project today. Tiled has one of those maintainers that's actually pleasant to work with!), it was time to make my build scripts to actually generate my minimap. Which made me realize it was time to actually have proper build scripts.

When I started with libGdx (almost a year ago?), it didn't have a good build system prepared with it. You pretty much rolled your own build scripts, or just used the "build" button in your IDE (which embarrassingly, is what I've been doing).  The author has recently come out with a gradle build script, but that would require me going back and updating all of my libGdx stuff to use the newest version. Which I'm not ready to do at the moment.

Well, I found someone else's ant script (yuck!) for how my project is set up, so I figured I could start with that, to at least get a scriptable build started. I'd r…

More contributing to Tiled

Well, after submitting my changes to Tiled, and discussing it with the maintainer, we decided that instead of working around their goofy hard-coded ommision of the collision layer, it might be worthwhile to completely rework the command-line flags for including or omitting layers. So instead of working on Robo-Ninja directly, I spent the evening working on Tiled.

Specifically, adding command-line flags to their export utility that let you specify layers by name to omit, and let you also tell it to just use the visibility settings of the map itself.
This code is all in C++. I haven't written anything in C++ in YEARS.

Hooray for Open Source

Today I started investigating how I want to handle the mini-map. I still haven't completely settled on a design that I like. Some of the questions or factors that I need to think about are:

The minimap needs to be smart enough to (at least mostly) build itself from my level data, without me having to go back and build a big minimap by hand.I want to minimize the effort involved -- I neither want to have to add a bunch of meta-data to my maps to give them hints about displaying themselves on the minimap, neither do I want to have to write a ton of code for the build process to make it build the minimap.How much detail do I want to show on the minimap? In Anguna, the dungeons were just wireframes of the rooms (which is closer to a Super Metroid-style map), but the overworld was actually just the image of the overworld map scaled down to any extremely tiny size.

I'm leaning toward doing scaled down images (in answer to #3), so I started looking into a simple scriptable way to dump…

Back to the Ninja

Well, the Dart coding was fun. I ended up spending a few weeks-worth of coding-with-one-hand-while-holding-a-baby-in-another playing with it. My verdict: I'm not sure I was any more efficient working in it (particularly with the combined pain of learning a new language/framework, lack of documentation, and lack of 3rd party libraries), it was definitely less painful than javascript or other traditional ways of doing web development. I'll be interested to see if it goes anywhere. Being a Google technology, I don't have my hopes up.

So this week, I'm back at Robo-Ninja. I think the trick to getting me to finish a development project is to have a fan. Having Aaron pester me about it is a good motivation!

So during approximately 10 minutes last night, and 15 tonight, I managed to get the consumable slow-motion powerup working. It was one of those happy times where everything fits smoothly into your design without bumping into any nasty corners.

I also realized from testing…