Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from February, 2015

Robo-Ninja gets a makeover

Thanks to Chris Hildenbrand, who made the amazing artwork for Anguna, Robo-Ninja is getting a makeover! Here's his new look:



Here's a video clip of just a few of his new animations, which I'm still tweaking to get the timings/transitions looking correct.



Thanks, Chris!

Trippy video

That picture yesterday didn't capture how weird this is. So I decided to post a video tonight....

I'm currently working on using that funky weirdness in the background of the new dimension, to make it look nice and weird. Which means I still have to come up with a slightly different interesting transition to the area.

Shaders (getting trippy here)

So for this next area of Robo-Ninja, I've been trying to figure out how to do some crazy wavy-screen effect as Robo-Ninja teleports into the new dimension. Suddenly, my lack of knowledge about modern computer graphics really shows up. The Gameboy Advance and DS used their own proprietary 2d graphics systems, and so far I've just been using some high-level 2d libraries in libGdx, that protect me from having to learn much about the actual openGL stuff that's actually going on.

But to do this crazy effect, it looks like I'm going to have to use shaders. So I'm going to have to learn a little bit. Thanks to some nice folks on the libGdx IRC channel, I found a page with some nice example code of something vaguely like what I'm trying to do. Playing around with that example code, I've turned Robo-Ninja into a serious trip-fest:



So...that's weird. Not exactly what I'm going for, but I think I can use that to get pointed in the right direction of what I wan…

Final Robo-Ninja tileset

I'm finally sitting down and building the file world graphics tileset for Robo-Ninja. The end is in sight!  I'm using this simple tileset from OpenGameArt. For each tileset, I usually have to spend some time massaging it to get it to work. I need my graphics to be in 16x16 tiles. But, like this tileset, often the source material isn't on any sort of grid, so I have to do some work to shove it into a grid. Then, to prevent any blurring of neighboring tiles during any possible scaling, I run it through a gimp script that converts it into 18x18 tiles, where each tile has a duplicated edge on each outside border. So any neighboring pixels for scaling are just the same as the original pixel.

Then I have to import it into my tile editor (Tiled), and then set up map properties (such as which tiles are spikes, etc), pick out a backdrop image for the tileset, and THEN can finally start making maps with it.

With this new world area, I decided I needed something different than normal…

Jeopardy

For an upcoming church business meeting, we decided on playing a game of Jeopardy. Now at our church business meetings, we have a history of going all-out with some sort of gameshow-type theme. Last year we played Hollywood Squares, with a complete giant 3-story box to make it work:


So for this years' Jeopardy game, I knew we couldn't do it half-heartedly. I spent awhile searching for good Jeopardy Board-making tools online, but I didn't really like any of them. And what we REALLY wanted to do was also build a podium with score screens for each player, with their name and score, like the real game.

So I decided to write some code to slap it all together and make it happen. The main board is just a single-page html/javascript page, with some json data for the questions and answers. Then I set up another page (to be operated by someone backstage) with buttons for modifying the player scores. Then another page (one for each player) that just shows their name and score, and re…

Stuck on silliness

Last night I got stuck on a silly problem. I was trying to add an array of item colors before my graphics definitions:

ItemColors ;This is the new array .byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44.byte#$44ItemGfx.byte#%00000000;--None.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%00000000;--.byte#%