What I really needed was a map. With a map, at least the overworld becomes a big boring place that's not quite so easy to get lost in.
So I added the map on the subscreen. It took a bit of work to get the colors all lines up the right ways, using the different graphical objects available, but I think it's working now. The white dot tracks where you are on the world.
I did manage to get the kernel all working with my multiple colors, like I mentioned last time. I was even able to animate the water of the river, so the color moves down the screen, which is fun.
I think it's time to post some builds to the Atari homebrew forums to try to get some feedback. That's scary.