Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from October, 2016

Titles

Thanks for the title suggestions everyone!

The 3 suggestions that I like the best were:

Pew Pew PewReginald McGillicutty's Big Boom Blast PartySpacey McRacey
After some thought, I decided:
Pew Pew Pew just isn't google-able enough. There's too many cultural references to "Pew Pew Pew" nowadays, which will make my game get buried even if people are looking for it. And alternative spellings (someone suggested Pew Pue Pu) are just too weird.
Reginald McGillicutty blah blah blah....I love this one from author Jeffrey Aaron Miller. What disqualifies it is really the format of the game required for the game competition I'm hoping to enter with this. The requirements of the game use a NES cartridge format that's quite limited in video ROM, which means I have to share space between the title screen and gameplay.  Which means I can't spend a ton on a giant fancy title screen. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the specs of the format, which is quite possible).  

Rapid Progress

I told my office-mate that if I ever finished that background mess, I'd start making much faster progress.  And it turned out to be true.

Earlier this week, I decided it was time to look at audio engines. I understand the concept of how audio engines work on the nes, but I just don't want to take the time to build one myself.  After trying out a couple of them, I found one that integrated really easily, and lets you play music imported from the popular famitracker format. After digging around, I found some interesting famitracker compositions under a Creative Commons license from a guy that goes by Ozzed.net. Turned out to be a really nice guy and was helpful in providing me info to get some of his music integrated into the game. So now I have background music!

The next steps were collision checking, explosions, and player bullets. No problems there!  Most of that is pretty simple stuff, or would be in C. In assembly, it's a little more error-prone and slower-going, but no…

PRGE, and I need a name

It's been awhile since I posted anything here!

First off, Anguna 2600 is pretty much done. I'm currently in the process of working on some promo material for the Portland Retro Game Expo, where we'll be showing off the game at the AtariAge booth.  I'm excited to be in a giant room full of people that are into retro-gaming, and have my game on display.  Should be a fun time.

I'm still slowly working on the nes game I talked about. I got hung up for awhile on displaying the barriers. I just kept running into bugs trying to get the game model to work right, then have it render properly based on the game model.  Part of it was scrolling -- the game has the appearance of scrolling through a world, but because the 6502 is only an 8-bit processor, I didn't feel like doing the math to track giant scroll values. So it's somewhat fake in terms of in-memory model.  The barriers move, the player stays motionless.  But because the nes background register is scrolling, …