Tuesday, November 8, 2016

PRGE

I couple weeks ago I had the chance to go out to the Portland Retro Games Expo, where Al from AtariAge had Anguna set up to demo.



What an amazing time. I could talk for a long time about how cool it was, but a few highlights:



  • Getting to see my game on display, and see people try it out
  • Meeting people who had played previously Anguna and enjoyed it
  • Meeting other homebrewers that I've interacted with on the forums
  • Hearing from and talking to the developers of the old original Atari games, hearing about what it was like to make those games, and how they dealt with many of the exact same technical issues that I do now.  (At one talk, they started drawing out how the display kernels work, and talking about how you can use the RESP0 register to set up your kernel to reuse sprites on multiple scanlines....I'm not sure how many people in the crowd enjoyed that level of technical detail, but I had a blast)
  • Playing Killer Queen, a ridiculously well-designed 10-player arcade game.  I'm going to post my thoughts about that game at some point, but I was blown away by what they accomplished with it.
  • Meeting up with my friend Tim Lapetino, author of the awesome new Art of Atari book

Atari Anguna is finished at this point, I'm waiting for some art, and then I'll declare it officially "released"  whenever we get a chance to release the cartridge through Atari Age!


That's Howard Scott Warshaw.
The genius behind Raiders of the Lost Ark, Yars Revenge, and E.T.

1 comment:

sverx said...

So cool!
Warshaw!!! Amazing!
No words, really!
Amazing

NES Anguna

Well, I had a little bit of time still, while Frankengraphics is finishing up her game Project Blue, to have a little downtime on Halcyon, s...