Sunday, September 14, 2008

Shopkeer and healer

I managed to get the shopkeeper and healer UIs done tonight. Those should have been really easy, as nothing much has changed from before, BUT I just tonight remembered that they shared a lot of basic UI code with all the subscreen framework....and I changed the subscreen framework to use the bottom screen (forgetting that this stuff would still be on the top screen).

So basically, now, parts of the framework had to work on both screens. So I ended up refactoring things to work with both screens. It was a quick-and-dirty job, so not quite as elegant or clean as I'd really like, but it works. Really, I keep running into the question of whether to proliferate a top-or-bottom-screen parameter through half of my functions, or whether to make two differently named functions that do the same thing, only for each screen. The problem is that there are places where it seems to make sense to do it the first way, and other places where it makes sense the second way. And now I'm mixing and matching, which I'm not really happy about.

On another note, I found a nasty bug with my minimap where some rooms won't draw correctly, and the game will lock up if you try to pause view the minimap details for those rooms. Nice.

No comments:

Atari QuadGames

Well, the first prototype adapter is finished, Quad-Joust is undergoing testing (ie making my kids come down to the basement and play it wit...