Skip to main content

Main development finished?

Wow, I've gotten here faster than I thought.

Today I managed to knock out a bunch of little stuff:
  • cleaning up warnings
  • fixing the enemy database text entries
  • cleaning up game over screens and some transitional screens
  • further testing/cleanup of saving and loading

Which really means that I'm pretty much done!

Although I must tell the story of when I was at this point on the GBA version of Anguna, I told my wife Sara that I was "done with the development" after 3 years of working on it. But when I spent the next month testing, fixing random bugs, and then fixing bugs that other people in internet land found, she started laughing at my concept of "done." So, with that being said, stuff that's left:

1. Update the credits. I'm not using Kusma's awesome Pimpmobile audio player anymore (since there's no DS version), but switched to LibMikMod (which, despite the fact that I'm incredibly happy that it exists, I'm not as impressed with). I also want to mention Electrobee and Tim Dudek in there, for donating hardware stuff to make this thing happen. And I ended up pulling out 1 one my 3 songs that I used, as it didn't work with LibMikMod, so I guess I need to un-credit Magic Fred who composed it. (Sorry Fred! (For those of you who might think I'm blowing off Fred's work, he didn't compose the song for Anguna, but made it freely available for people like me to use)) So if anyone wants to compose a cool intro song for Anguna, feel free!

1.5 Decide if I want to try to actively search for a replacement intro song, or a composer for it. Probably not, but I'll think about it.

2. Updating documentation/readme files, etc. LibMikMod is LGPL, which is a pain, as I have to include all their licensing documentation, make object files available, etc.

3. Chris (the guy who did the graphics) has said that he might want to create some cool new eye-candy splash screen/cut scene type stuff. If he does, I'll need to figure out how and where to add that in.

4. Test. And test. And bug fix. And test some more. And get other people to test for me. At some point soon I'm going to try to recruit some people to playtest for me before I publicly release the thing, so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

5. Test some more.

6. Test.

7. Release AngunaDS, and bask in the glory of being done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospex 32 Review

RetrospexInternational recently sent me a couple units of their new handheld device, the Retrospex 32, a new dedicated GameboyAdvance emulator handheld.  To make the unit playable out of the box, they pre-loaded a handful of homebrew games, including Anguna, which is why they were kind enough to send me 2 of the units to play with.  I was pretty excited to get my hands on the device and try it (I loved my old GBA micro with a good flash cart!), and see Anguna running on it. So here's my thoughts after playing with it.



Their website lists the Retrospex 32 for £59.99, which is around $100 USD. It seems like it's marketed toward people into retro-gaming (which makes sense for a dedicated GBA emulator device). At that price, with that target market, and such a limited set of functionality (why not make it a multi-machine emulator, and emulate all the old consoles?), it would hopefully do a really good job of it.

The short version of my review: it doesn't. It has one job (emula…

Making the game fun

The real trick for Spacey McRacey (as I'm calling it now) is going to be making it fun.  And that's what I'm rather unsure about at this point.

I have a game design that basically works. The technical issues are mostly sorted out, I just need to get a few more implemented before I can seriously play test it.

But fun? It's hard to know if it's actually going to be any fun to play.  With a 4-player party-style game, it's seems like it might be hard to hit that fine line where everyone is close and competing, where everything feels exciting and tense, as opposed to tedious and boring.  And despite envisioning my game as fun, it might just be boring to play.

Some of that comes down to tweaking it. Tweaking the speeds, difficulties, etc, will make a difference. (If it's too easy to shoot people from behind, then it will be nearly impossible to hold a lead for very long, which could ruin it and make it no fun. If it's too hard to kill the guy in front, it wil…

Killer Queen

So at PRGE, I played an arcade game that just left me amazed.  Killer Queen.

It's a 10-player game. You have 2 cabinets linked together, and 5 players huddled on each one. Each one is a team of 5 people, working together to play a simple one-screen 2d platformer.  But what made it work was the high quality game design.

First, the game is relatively simple, yet there is a lot going on at once.  One player plays the queen, the most important and powerful character on the team. The others start as workers, but can become warriors who can fly around and attack in a very joust-like flappy contest of height.  The real trick is that there are three completely different ways to win: either collect a bunch of berries and bring them back to your base, or ride a REALLY SLOW snail across the screen (while other people try to kill you, and you hope your team protects you), or kill the enemy queen 3 times.  There's some other things going on as well (using berries to upgrade, capturing upgr…