Wednesday, November 27, 2013

An unexpected turn of events

So one thing I didn't count on is my 5-year old son become interested in the process of making this game.

The other day while he was bored, I was letting him play with my phone, and he discovered a new game in the games folder, Robo-Ninja. And even though there were only 2 short levels, and they were pretty hard, he loved it.

This morning he wanted to play it again, and asked why it was so short (he didn't realize it was a game I was in the process of making). So I explained that I was making it, and could make some more levels for him. (and some easier ones). Then I had the realization that the level editor was easy enough that HE could make levels. That REALLY got him excited.

So we spent a good while this morning letting him design some levels. They're a bit...um...random. But he loved it. And I loved helping him do it.

In case you can't tell, that's supposed to be a forest in the top-half of the screen.


But now I have a dilemma. He's going to want to play his version on my phone. But I'm going to want my version on there to show off, mess with, etc. So I ended up adding a menu item in the game to let you choose between Aaron's version and the real version.

Eventually, if I ever get close to finishing this thing, I'll probably have to pull his content out (there's no way I can distribute a game with the Ninjago Theme Song as background music, which is the case with his levels). But it's pretty fun to have my son excited about the process right now.

That may end up slowing down my development a bit (it did today!), but realistically, if it's between having fun doing this with my son and actually finishing, I'll take the former any day.

No comments:

NES Anguna

Well, I had a little bit of time still, while Frankengraphics is finishing up her game Project Blue, to have a little downtime on Halcyon, s...