Skip to main content

Minimap and Jenkins Build

Well, after finally get the exporter in Tiled to do what I wanted, (and as a side note: my changes got accepted into the project today. Tiled has one of those maintainers that's actually pleasant to work with!), it was time to make my build scripts to actually generate my minimap. Which made me realize it was time to actually have proper build scripts.

When I started with libGdx (almost a year ago?), it didn't have a good build system prepared with it. You pretty much rolled your own build scripts, or just used the "build" button in your IDE (which embarrassingly, is what I've been doing).  The author has recently come out with a gradle build script, but that would require me going back and updating all of my libGdx stuff to use the newest version. Which I'm not ready to do at the moment.

Well, I found someone else's ant script (yuck!) for how my project is set up, so I figured I could start with that, to at least get a scriptable build started. I'd rather do it all in gradle, but I really don't know enough gradle yet to do it without investing a good bit of time, which is not what I want to focus on now.

Anyway, so today I got the build scripts working, and running on my Jenkins server, so whenever I push my commits to my Bitbucket repository, Jenkins will build the phone version of Robo-Ninja. So I finally don't feel quite as dirty. And when Aaron pesters me to get Robo-Ninja installed on one of our Android devices, I've got a build already put together, accessible via the web browser. (If anyone wants the link to the daily build version to play with, just send me a message.)

Now that I've been fully sidetracked just to make the minimap, it's now time to figure out how to actually display this thing in the game, and for the harder part, figure out the best mechanism for revealing just the parts that the player has seen. This might get tricky.

Wow, when I look at this dinky map of my levels so far, it looks like I really haven't done ANYTHING yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospex 32 Review

RetrospexInternational recently sent me a couple units of their new handheld device, the Retrospex 32, a new dedicated GameboyAdvance emulator handheld.  To make the unit playable out of the box, they pre-loaded a handful of homebrew games, including Anguna, which is why they were kind enough to send me 2 of the units to play with.  I was pretty excited to get my hands on the device and try it (I loved my old GBA micro with a good flash cart!), and see Anguna running on it. So here's my thoughts after playing with it.



Their website lists the Retrospex 32 for £59.99, which is around $100 USD. It seems like it's marketed toward people into retro-gaming (which makes sense for a dedicated GBA emulator device). At that price, with that target market, and such a limited set of functionality (why not make it a multi-machine emulator, and emulate all the old consoles?), it would hopefully do a really good job of it.

The short version of my review: it doesn't. It has one job (emula…

Making the game fun

The real trick for Spacey McRacey (as I'm calling it now) is going to be making it fun.  And that's what I'm rather unsure about at this point.

I have a game design that basically works. The technical issues are mostly sorted out, I just need to get a few more implemented before I can seriously play test it.

But fun? It's hard to know if it's actually going to be any fun to play.  With a 4-player party-style game, it's seems like it might be hard to hit that fine line where everyone is close and competing, where everything feels exciting and tense, as opposed to tedious and boring.  And despite envisioning my game as fun, it might just be boring to play.

Some of that comes down to tweaking it. Tweaking the speeds, difficulties, etc, will make a difference. (If it's too easy to shoot people from behind, then it will be nearly impossible to hold a lead for very long, which could ruin it and make it no fun. If it's too hard to kill the guy in front, it wil…

Killer Queen

So at PRGE, I played an arcade game that just left me amazed.  Killer Queen.

It's a 10-player game. You have 2 cabinets linked together, and 5 players huddled on each one. Each one is a team of 5 people, working together to play a simple one-screen 2d platformer.  But what made it work was the high quality game design.

First, the game is relatively simple, yet there is a lot going on at once.  One player plays the queen, the most important and powerful character on the team. The others start as workers, but can become warriors who can fly around and attack in a very joust-like flappy contest of height.  The real trick is that there are three completely different ways to win: either collect a bunch of berries and bring them back to your base, or ride a REALLY SLOW snail across the screen (while other people try to kill you, and you hope your team protects you), or kill the enemy queen 3 times.  There's some other things going on as well (using berries to upgrade, capturing upgr…