Monday, September 15, 2014

Anguna 2600

I just spent a week traveling for a work conference. Between the 8 hours of flying, and a few nights in my hotel room, I got a lot done. Both on Robo-Ninja, and my Atari project.

On Robo-Ninja, I got through a few more maps, added a new enemy that flashes a "bright light" which temporarily blinds you from seeing the room you're in, and started working on a scripting system for animating my intro and ending story sequences.  I'll get to all that in more detail later.

On my Atari project, I finally have it looking and acting somewhat like an actual video game. There's still a ton to do (finish collision detection, rewrite my display kernel to allow 3 enemies onscreen at once, allow you to switch rooms, add sounds, etc, etc, etc), but at this point, I've been vague long enough: my goal is Anguna for the atari. It's going to be pretty primitive, but I think I can make a passable version of the game for the 2600.


I've got a number of interesting (to me!) things to talk about regarding the game: the challenges of getting the top header bar working, my strategy for multiple enemies onscreen, how I may have to end up using bankswitching to allow for more than 4K of ROM, how collision detection works on the atari (one of the few things that's easy!). But it's late, so I'll leave it with that picture for now.

No comments:

Optimization and C

Starting this next game in C, I've known there will be places where C isn't fast enough, and I'd have to drop to assembly to ...