Friday, February 20, 2015

Jeopardy

For an upcoming church business meeting, we decided on playing a game of Jeopardy. Now at our church business meetings, we have a history of going all-out with some sort of gameshow-type theme. Last year we played Hollywood Squares, with a complete giant 3-story box to make it work:


So for this years' Jeopardy game, I knew we couldn't do it half-heartedly. I spent awhile searching for good Jeopardy Board-making tools online, but I didn't really like any of them. And what we REALLY wanted to do was also build a podium with score screens for each player, with their name and score, like the real game.

So I decided to write some code to slap it all together and make it happen. The main board is just a single-page html/javascript page, with some json data for the questions and answers. Then I set up another page (to be operated by someone backstage) with buttons for modifying the player scores. Then another page (one for each player) that just shows their name and score, and refreshes itself every second, to stay in sync with the scorekeeping tool:





If you are interested in using this, you can grab the source from my bitbucket repo: https://bitbucket.org/gauauu/jeopardy 

At this point, I haven't made it very generic or user-friendly. Use it at your own peril.

No comments:

NES Anguna

Well, I had a little bit of time still, while Frankengraphics is finishing up her game Project Blue, to have a little downtime on Halcyon, s...