Skip to main content

Door work and more

Ok, enemy spawning finally works right. There were a couple of minor bugs in my spawning code that I last posted (c'mon, nobody spotted them? I thought with a million eyes, all bugs are shallow? I guess that means I have a few less than a million readers that are also 6502 assembly programmers!) But I got the bugs taken care of.

I decided the next step, to try to get my brain interested in this project again, was to go ahead and start actually making the first dungeon. Awhile ago I posted a survey to see if I should re-implement the maps from the original Anguna, or make a new adventure. Everyone voted for a new adventure. But it sounds really fun to try to reproduce the first dungeon, at least. So that's what I started on.

And immediately realized that although I had worked out proof-of-concepts for my door code, it wasn't finished. Doors on the top worked. I hadn't finished doors on the bottom. Which required going back and modifying my display kernel code, which meant I was back to counting cycles.

But I think I have that working, finally.

I also originally only allowed for a left-side or right-side to be closed (if I wanted them both to be closed, I had to draw the room map with a permanently closed wall, which reduced that room layout's flexibility for use in other rooms).  But after playing with that, I didn't like it much. So I had to re-think how this was going to work.

Originally, I used the Atari "ball" graphics object, (which is a 1,2, or 4 pixel blob) extended vertically across the whole screen, to block off a left-side or right-side door. But if I wanted to block both at once, this wasn't going to work. (there's only 1 ball!) So instead, I counted and realized I had time to squeeze in one additional instruction in my code that pushes the background data to the right registers, so I could pre-load a byte in ram with a mask to be applied to the walls, and, OR that with the actual room wall data before pushing it to the display registers. Because I'm using a mirrored background, that could close both the left and right doors at once.

Both the left and right doors are closed! Hooray!


The next step is another part that I realized I never implemented: if you have a secret door that only opens when all the enemies are dead....well, it never opens.  Not because my code to open it doesn't work. But more because it turns out I never wrote that code.

So that's next!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospex 32 Review

RetrospexInternational recently sent me a couple units of their new handheld device, the Retrospex 32, a new dedicated GameboyAdvance emulator handheld.  To make the unit playable out of the box, they pre-loaded a handful of homebrew games, including Anguna, which is why they were kind enough to send me 2 of the units to play with.  I was pretty excited to get my hands on the device and try it (I loved my old GBA micro with a good flash cart!), and see Anguna running on it. So here's my thoughts after playing with it.



Their website lists the Retrospex 32 for £59.99, which is around $100 USD. It seems like it's marketed toward people into retro-gaming (which makes sense for a dedicated GBA emulator device). At that price, with that target market, and such a limited set of functionality (why not make it a multi-machine emulator, and emulate all the old consoles?), it would hopefully do a really good job of it.

The short version of my review: it doesn't. It has one job (emula…

Making the game fun

The real trick for Spacey McRacey (as I'm calling it now) is going to be making it fun.  And that's what I'm rather unsure about at this point.

I have a game design that basically works. The technical issues are mostly sorted out, I just need to get a few more implemented before I can seriously play test it.

But fun? It's hard to know if it's actually going to be any fun to play.  With a 4-player party-style game, it's seems like it might be hard to hit that fine line where everyone is close and competing, where everything feels exciting and tense, as opposed to tedious and boring.  And despite envisioning my game as fun, it might just be boring to play.

Some of that comes down to tweaking it. Tweaking the speeds, difficulties, etc, will make a difference. (If it's too easy to shoot people from behind, then it will be nearly impossible to hold a lead for very long, which could ruin it and make it no fun. If it's too hard to kill the guy in front, it wil…

Killer Queen

So at PRGE, I played an arcade game that just left me amazed.  Killer Queen.

It's a 10-player game. You have 2 cabinets linked together, and 5 players huddled on each one. Each one is a team of 5 people, working together to play a simple one-screen 2d platformer.  But what made it work was the high quality game design.

First, the game is relatively simple, yet there is a lot going on at once.  One player plays the queen, the most important and powerful character on the team. The others start as workers, but can become warriors who can fly around and attack in a very joust-like flappy contest of height.  The real trick is that there are three completely different ways to win: either collect a bunch of berries and bring them back to your base, or ride a REALLY SLOW snail across the screen (while other people try to kill you, and you hope your team protects you), or kill the enemy queen 3 times.  There's some other things going on as well (using berries to upgrade, capturing upgr…