Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from December, 2015

Scene2d

Wow, the scene2d framework has come a long way since I first looked at it, in some pre-1.0 version of LibGDX. In the last hour since the kids have been in bed, I've got almost half of my game UI mocked out using it, and switching from the draft/mockup to the "real thing" should be as easy as modifying the skin file, and then slightly nudging/resizing things. I'd show some code here, but it's all so plain simple, I'm not sure what to even say. It's all super simple layout stuff, along the lines of: privateWindowbuildControlWindow(){floatpaddingLeft=120;Windowwindow=newWindow("Signal",getSkin());window.setPosition(0,0);window.setSize(LifeInSpaceGame.WIDTH,LifeInSpaceGame.HEIGHT/3);window.setMovable(false);window.setResizable(false);Labellabel=newLabel("Radio Filters",getSkin());window.add(label).padLeft(paddingLeft).colspan(3).expandX();window.row();Buttonfilter1=newTextButton(" Filter 1 ",getSkin(),"toggle");…

LibGDX Game Jam

So this week I'm tentatively starting a project for the LibGDX game jam, a month-long jam with the theme "Life in Space"

Part of the jam is the requirement to document your progress, which I'm doing on their website. I'll try to cross-post a lot of it here as well, but my jam project log page is at http://itch.io/jam/libgdxjam/topic/12031/gauauus-log

The idea of the game is a very short story-based game where you are a researcher here on earth searching through the stars looking for radio signals that would show evidence of extraterrestrial life in space.  Because of the non-action, story theme, it's very different than other games I've done. And because the goal is to crank something small out quickly, it's been fun (for the 2 hours I've worked on it so far) not worrying about good extensible/general design, but writing just enough code to get the job done.

I'll leave you with a very minimal draft screenshot. The top starfield is where you se…

Door work and more

Ok, enemy spawning finally works right. There were a couple of minor bugs in my spawning code that I last posted (c'mon, nobody spotted them? I thought with a million eyes, all bugs are shallow? I guess that means I have a few less than a million readers that are also 6502 assembly programmers!) But I got the bugs taken care of.

I decided the next step, to try to get my brain interested in this project again, was to go ahead and start actually making the first dungeon. Awhile ago I posted a survey to see if I should re-implement the maps from the original Anguna, or make a new adventure. Everyone voted for a new adventure. But it sounds really fun to try to reproduce the first dungeon, at least. So that's what I started on.

And immediately realized that although I had worked out proof-of-concepts for my door code, it wasn't finished. Doors on the top worked. I hadn't finished doors on the bottom. Which required going back and modifying my display kernel code, which mea…