Thursday, September 10, 2015

Collectibles in Beginner Mode

Well, it's time to open back up the IDE.

My friend Geoff brought something to my attention, which he's completely right about: In beginner mode, there's a bunch of dead-end passageways, with a yellow dot on the map implying there's something there. But there's nothing there.

Beginner mode, being a bit of an afterthought, doesn't have any of the slow-mo or checkpoint items. There's nothing to replace them, they're just gone. Which is weird and confusing.

I decided that an easy answer is to make them into simple collectible items. You find them, it says something like "you found collectible #3 of 16!"  And maybe have an achievement if you collect them all.  This makes the weird passageways make more sense, and adds a simple extra goal for beginner mode.

It should be pretty straightforward to add, we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Bryan R said...

Ah, that makes sense! I was going to send you a note about this. I've been enjoying beginner mode.

NES Anguna

Well, I had a little bit of time still, while Frankengraphics is finishing up her game Project Blue, to have a little downtime on Halcyon, s...