Thursday, October 9, 2014

Jetpack and death counter

Tonight was back to Robo-Ninja. First, to make Aaron happy, I went ahead and created the jetpack item. He's been wishing for that non-stop for months, so I thought it would be a fun surprise to add for him. Plus, it was one of those few times that something was really easy. It helped that it's so similar to the double-jump item in function.

Then, I felt like doing something different (the scripting stuff, while interesting, required some serious thought and design work, which I didn't feel up to tonight), so I added something I've been planning for awhile: the death counter. What good is a hard game if it doesn't regularly remind you about how bad you are at the game?

With Anguna, when I released it, I had a little contest, where the first person to win the game with 100% of the hidden items being found, won a free copy of the game. It was a fun way to drum up some interest and attention. (and was fun from my end -- the 2nd place winner was only a few hours behind the real winner!)

I'm thinking about doing something similar with Robo-Ninja if I ever finish. To have a contest to see who can win with the fewest deaths. I'm not sure what the winner will get, but hopefully it will tempt a few crazy people into actually finishing the game. We'll see. (Realistically, I'll be lucky if I can get more than 5 or 10 people to actually notice and download the game. But hey, whatever).

No comments:

NES Anguna

Well, I had a little bit of time still, while Frankengraphics is finishing up her game Project Blue, to have a little downtime on Halcyon, s...