Friday, November 10, 2017

Robo-Ninja Climb

Well, out of the blue, I decided that I was missing out by not entering something into this year's NesDev competition, so a couple weeks ago I decided to see how quickly I could churn out a simple-but-fun game.

My idea is an endless-climber type of thing, based on the Robo-Ninja character. You just bounce back and forth scaling walls while dodging obstacles.


It's been fun, trying to churn this out as fast as possible.  To be as efficient as I can, I reused a number of routines from my primary nes project, and then have been coding everything in a mix of C and assembly, switching back and forth at whim, using whichever seems easier for any given part of the game.

I just finished my 7th day of development, and it's almost a playable game -- I just need to make collisions with the obstacles actually work, and tweak the controls a bit, and it will be time for some preliminary testing: the standard "is it actually fun" sort of thing. We'll see.

There's a lot more I'd love to say about some of the technical challenges of writing this game, but with trying to finish it as quickly as possible, I end up not wanting to waste time writing about it.

Like last year, I don't have a lot of intentions of winning the competition, but I couldn't pass up a chance to at least enter something.

No comments:

NES Anguna

Well, I had a little bit of time still, while Frankengraphics is finishing up her game Project Blue, to have a little downtime on Halcyon, s...